Straight Teeth – More Than Just Cosmetics
While straight teeth certainly look great, there are many reasons to pursue a winning smile. Crooked teeth and a misaligned jaw can cause complications such as:
- Create uneven wear and cracks in teeth
- Challenges biting and chewing food
- Speech impediments
- Gum damage
- Jaw strain
- Temporomandibular joint disorder
When To See An Orthodontist
Your first orthodontic visit should be before you’re even aware there is an issue. It is recommended by that child between the ages of 7-9 years of age are assessed by an orthodontist. This is due to the ability of the orthodontist to review the adult teeth and spot potential problems with jaw growth and teeth placement.
The best time to begin orthodontic treatment is around the age of 12 when the last of the baby teeth have fallen and adult teeth have taken their place. Orthodontic treatment can be implemented at any age with good outcomes, however, treatment in adults tends to take longer. This is due to adolescent jawbones being softer and easier to manipulate as they are still growing.
For some significant malocclusions, braces alone may not be sufficient and surgery may be required to get the ideal result.
Get Optimal Results With Alexandra Hills Dental
Our orthodontic consultations are designed to be thorough and help us formulate the best possible plan for you. In addition to visually checking your mouth and teeth we will:
- Take an impression of your teeth and use it to create a 3d mould.
- Take detailed photographs of your jaw, mouth and teeth.
- X-ray your teeth and jaw.
- Discuss any concerns you have regarding pain or difficulty from your teeth and jaw.