Yellow, stained and discoloured teeth can really impact on your self-esteem. Whitening your teeth may seem like the easy solution. However, it is important to understand why your teeth yellow or stain in the first place. This can help you avoid further yellowing and maintain a healthier smile.
What Causes Yellowed Teeth?
There are so many possible causes of yellow teeth, the main ones being:
- Smoking. The nicotine in cigarettes is a major cause for teeth yellowing and staining.
- Your choices in food and drink can cause yellowing. Red wine is high in tannins which yellow teeth. Tea, coffee and soda also cause damage to the enamel of your teeth and contribute to staining over time.
- Excessive fluoride. Excessive fluoride can cause yellowing, particularly in children.
- Medical conditions and illness. Treatment for illnesses, such as chemotherapy can cause yellowed teeth. Blood pressure medications and those for asthma have also been liked to yellowed teeth.
- Yellowing is also a naturally occurring process as we age, even if you have perfect dental hygiene.
How To Whiten Yellow Teeth
Thankfully, yellow teeth are something that can be corrected and avoided with ongoing care. Your options for a gleaming white smile include:
Done at your dentist’s office, professional whitening involves a bleaching solution applied to your teeth. The solutions effects may be boosted by the use of a special blue light. Depending on how yellow your teeth are, you may need repeated treatments. Each treatment can last between 30 minutes to an hour.
At Home Whitening
At home whitening is performed via the use of strips or gels placed in a tray. They tend to be less aggressive than professional treatments as they use a peroxide-based solution. These treatments are cheaper and often very effective. For best results, you may still need to see your dentist for very yellowed teeth.
Contact Alexandra Hills Dental today on 07 3824 4488 and see how we can help you achieve your whitest, brightest smile.